Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Episode 40. Liberties We Have Lost.

A very dear and close friend challenged me the other day to, "Name one liberty that we have lost, just one." That led to a very long and interesting discussion and to this podcast.

In this podcast I quote from an excellent post by Gary D. Barnett on the lewrockwell.com web site. Mr. Barnett's post is entitled, I’m Fed Up with Constitution Worship, and it is an outstanding recap of Episode 38 of this very podcast (coincidentally, of course). You'll love his take on what I now believe is the uneducated and unfortunately widespread worship of this parchment. His closing sentence is also memorable:

"I will put my faith in God, not men. I will have faith in freedom, not constitutions. Our salvation and return to liberty lies not in faith in men residing in the halls of congress, but in our belief in us as free and sovereign individuals."

In a discussion thread I found on a link I've since forgotten, another very smart fellow self-identified as "THINK" also educates fellow posters about the true role of the Constitution, and how the Bill of Rights, though valuable, was simply an add-on demanded by the states and the people to secure their agreement to ratify. Here is his brilliant and disturbing quote:
"The Constitution is a vehicle to promote capital investment by foreign governments and wealthy individuals into the American experiment by having a federal government willing to take on liability for a return on said investments."

Strangely enough, and perhaps disgustingly, even when it comes to the Constitution, you need to "Follow the money."

In the last segment of the podcast, I review the actual text of Bill of Rights, and discuss specific liberties lost over the years, up to the year 2010. It's quite a long list, sobering actually, and yet a limited, partial list at best. Today we have very few of the freedoms envisioned by Thomas Jefferson and lesser-known men who opposed the replacement of the Articles of Confederation to no avail.

This show lasts a bit over an hour. I seem to be growing more long-winded over time, but I hope the great content makes up for that.

Warm regards,
Pete
- - - - - - - -

No comments:

Post a Comment